January is the time to nourish, restore and re-energise
With the snow falling outside my window in Brighton, it is such a dry cold it is even falling onto the beach, it’s time to start looking at ways to look after myself this winter. Here are 8 ways to make sure you stay happy, strong and healthy this winter.
- Be active. Staying active helps to boost serotonin levels and keeps you mentally and physically strong. It boosts the immune system helping stave off illness and boosts energy levels that are somehow depleted with the longer nights and cold weather.
- Try indoor activities. If you are not an outdoors person in winter, then that is ok! Get a yoga dvd or dance, aerobics dvd and stay in the comforts of your own home and try your new form of exercise or energy level booster.
- Prioritise sleep and follow the suns movements. As the days grow longer try and get to bed a little earlier to allow your body more time for the rest and repair that it needs in the winter months.
- Eat well. Eat warmer more wholesome nutritious meals such as homemade soups, hot pots or casseroles. Eat moist foods in winter to contrast with the dryness of indoor heating. Anything that warms the belly warms the soul.
- Eat spicy foods. With the changing of seasons, it is also a good idea to change your diet to seasonal veg which are also naturally warming foods. Great added in soups or to warming foods such as curries, these root veg taste great combined with spices such as coriander, cumin, turmeric, rosemary, thyme are all warming herbs and spices to help with circulation, joint mobility, memory and more.
- Increase immune boosting supplements. Start taking Echinacea on a regular basis, vitamin C and garlic, either by eating it raw in warm salads or in tablet form. Boost the immune system to keep you strong mentally and physically.
- Take fish oils. These have the extra boost of vitamins A and D which we lack in winter months which help to boost serotonin levels to keep you happy!
- Stay warm and cosy. If you are an outside jogger or walker, invest in some winter gear to make sure you are protected from the cold when you sweat. If you just feel the cold, then wear lots of layers so that the idea of going outside doesn’t fill you with dread. Use hot water bottles or electric blankets, get cosy and snug and enjoy it!
Good luck, let us know how you get on or if you know of any other ways to make winter a nicer place!