Gluten and Egg Free Mince Pies Recipe
A Guilt-Free Treat this Christmas
Here’s our recipe for a crumbly, fruity Christmas classic that you don’t have to feel too guilty about after eating. If you would rather have star-topped mince pies, instructions are in step 2.
– 200g gluten-free flour
– 1 tbsp powdered sugar
– 125g diced cold butter
– Zest of 1 orange
– 200g mincemeat (Meridian gluten-free, organic mince) or you can make your own!
For the topping:
– 25g ground almond
– 25g almond flakes
– 25g melted butter
– 25g brown or cane sugar
– 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1. For the pastry, mix the cold diced butter with the flour (it should end up looking like breadcrumbs). Next, add in the powdered sugar and orange zest. While mixing, add 4 tablespoons of water, one at a time, until the dough comes together. Knead the dough, flatten it into a circle, wrap in cling film and keep in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Sprinkle flour onto the countertop, and roll the pastry out till its about 2-3mm in thickness. Use a pastry cutter to cut out circles. Roll the scraps up and make more circles out of them (or use a star-shaped pastry cutter to make the star toppings with the scraps, instead of the crumble topping in step 3). Add the cut-out pastry circles to a muffin tin, then fill each one with 1 full tsp of mincemeat and spread out till its smooth. (At this stage, if you are cooking for Christmas in advance, you can freeze as they are. Use within 1 month)
3. Star-topped: If you are making star-topped pies, then just add the stars on top of each pie instead of the crumble. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Once they’re done, leave them to cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
4. Crumble-topped: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle them on top of each mince pie. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Once they’re done, leave them to cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
For more healthy recipes, check out the recipe section on our blog!