How to Stay Happy Over the Winter Months
There is a phrase “what you resist persists” and this includes everything in life; getting ill or injured, a relationship ending, not getting the job you want and even the weather!
When we fight against something being a certain way it simply continues to wind us up. When we can be with what it, to practice acceptance, this opens up space to be able to think clearly about what we need to do to feel happy again.
Whether you love or hate the Winter it is here, it’s part of the cycle of life and it is here to serve us. It’s an opportunity for us to slow down, some time to draw within, rest after a busy year and slowly regenerate so our energy can return again naturally when it’s ready. After the busy summer months and all there is to do in the run-up to Christmas we can often feel more tired than usual. It’s so important to listen to this and allow yourself to slow down, just like nature is outside.
Here are my top tips to stay happy over the winter months:
- Allow your self to rest and nap as you feel you need it. Now is not the time to be pushing through and keeping going. This is your opportunity to stop, give yourself permission to nap!
- When the sun is shining get outdoors and make the most of it. Feel the sun on your face and remember Winter doesn’t last forever, life is always constantly evolving.
- Eat healthy warming comfort food that makes your tummy smile
- This quieter time allows new ideas to bubble up, January/ February is a great time to be assessing what you want from your year ahead and planting the seeds of intention to start growing in Springtime.
- Treat yourself to some snuggly warm clothes that make your body smile. There’s nothing worse than feeling cold!
- Turn the music up. Once you feel rested have some fun looking through old music, crank it up and sing out loud, or dance! 2 sure-fire ways to lift your mood.
I used to always escape the Winter to sunnier climes but after a few years of being in the UK over this time, I have really learnt to appreciate natures wisdom and flow of life. I know I get tired during the winter and need to rest more, I know I will have new energy and ideas in Spring, I know I will be outdoors for most of the summer and in Autumn I enjoy letting go of the things that are not serving me any more ready for my rest time before doing it all over again. We are blessed.