Christmas dinner is the best time to get together with family and friends and share something delicious which is why these vegan recipes are sure to tickle anyones tastebuds, not just vegans!
Roasting veggies in olive oil (not fat from an animal or butter) means everybody can share and slather them in this delicious gravy.
The Best Gravy You’ve Ever Had
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 25 g dried porcini mushroom
- olive oil
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons port (use barnivore.com to check if it’s vegan)
- 2 tablespoons quality blackcurrant jam
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Marmite
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 5 litres organic vegetable stock
- Peel the onions, then roughly chop along with the carrots, celery and porcini.
- Place in a large pan over a medium heat with a splash of oil and the herbs. Fry for around 25 minutes, or until turning golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add the port and jam, and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes, or until sticky and caramelised.
- Stir in the flour, then add the Marmite, tomato purée and vinegar.
- Pour in the stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for around 10 minutes, or until thickened and reduced.
- Pass it through a sieve into another large pan, using a spoon to squeeze out all those lovely flavours.
Feeling the need to relax and unwind after Christmas? Join us on our Wellness retreat in January!